Cities never sleep and we cannot imagine a city road which is dark and desolate. Each city is unique by the energy it exudes and consumes. Street lights are important to ensure safety for pedestrians and vehicles alike.
Street lights are important to ensure safety for pedestrians and vehicles alike. Many cities across the world are including LED street lights as the crucial part of public lighting programme. Public lighting supports economic growth by increasing the amount of time that people can spend on dining and entertainment after dark. At the same time, studies have shown that public lighting can reduce crime by up to 20% and traffic accidents by up to 35%.
LED Street lights provide better lighting in many ways:
- LED lights are 40 to 60% more energy efficient than traditional lighting technologies. Simply by using LED luminaries, it is possible to provide better quality lighting, lower energy consumption, and reduce CO2 emissions. LEDs provide around 100+ Lumens per Watt and put the light on the ground instead of wasting light pushing it in all directions.
- Operations and maintenance costs also tend to be much lower because LED luminaires last at least four times longer than traditional bulbs. Budget is a crucial factor here and the cost savings can help ease the financial burden of municipalities that have tight fiscal budgets and are burdened by heavy utility bills. The savings can be invested in other services such as sanitation, schools and public health.
- LEDs provide a whiter light that helps in better visual acuity. White lights make things prominent and easier to see. This provides less eye strain when trying to decipher between objects at night.
- LED fixtures have also dimmable feature for lower power consumption for times when the streets are less busy or are not in high use, reducing further the power requirements.
- LEDs use one-fifth the power of incandescent lighting, a third of HID or metal halide lamps, and half of fluorescent lamps. So better efficiency with less grid power is ensured.
According to Infoholic Research, the smart street lighting market in India is estimated to grow at a compounded annual growth rate of 42% in the period between 2016 and 2022. As we are heading towards developing smart cities, government bodies are also working towards creating smart street lighting solutions with LED which will be feasible and efficient. Smart LED street lighting is proved to be cost wise beneficial as well as a step towards securing a brighter, greener, eco-friendly future.